Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Lazy Chef 1 - "Beef" Broccoli

I've mentioned a couple times that I've been making more food at home than I used to, and I've even mentioned what I've been making. Now I've decided to start posting more specifically what I make - for example, I just got home and made myself a meal that was really tasty. Here's the "recipe" for it (this is largely for my own records - I guess that's true of all of my blog posts - but if you're lazy like me you might like to try it.

I'm calling these posts "Lazy Chef" because when it comes to cooking, I'm about as lazy as they come. I'm not interested in spending a lot of time cooking - when I get hungry I just want to eat! So the things I make aren't groundbreaking culinary adventures - But I think they're tasty. Then again, I can't smell, so that probably makes a difference.

"Beef" Broccoli
Tonight's dish is actually a variation on the Stir Fry I usually make. I started by boiling some water to make some instant rice. Minute Rice is the best, but Safeway's generic brand was way cheaper and isn't bad. I don't measure anything, so I just started with enough water to saturate the rice I was going to use, then I just eyeballed the rice. I like to use more than enough water, then just let it boil away. I don't have any the stir fry veggies that I usually use, instead I had a bag of frozen broccoli. So I simply defrosted some in the microwave, then dumped it in the pot with the rice. A meal isn't a meal without some meat, so I had to put something in there. Sometimes I use chicken, but what I had this time was Kielbasa. This is why I put the word beef in quotes in the title - because I never actually have beef on hand. I just cut the kielbasa up and tossed it in the pot as well.

To this Rice/Broccoli/Kielbasa mix I added butter, salt, garlic powder, teriyaki and soy sauces, and a little sugar. It only takes a couple of minutes to make, dirties just 1 pot, a slotted spoon, a knife for the meat, and the plate and fork I eat it with. Easy!

No comments: