Friday, December 26, 2008

Slumdog Millionaire > The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I saw 2 movies recently, and both of them reminded me of a movie I'd seen before.

Yesterday I went and saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button with my parents. It was almost 3 hours long, and while it wasn't boring or bad perse, I don't feel like it really had much of a point. The most descriptive thing I can say about the movie was that I liked it better the first time I saw it, when it was called Forrest Gump.

Last week my brother-in-law Matt was raving about Slumdog Millionaire, so when he and Renee were in town we went to see it. I could describe it as a rehash of a movie as well - The Pursuit of Happyness. Only I liked Slumdog much better than Pursuit. In the latter everyone knew that in the end, Will Smith's character would succeed - it was based on a real life success story. All through the movie life kicked him in the nuts over and over, and it got to be almost tedious to watch. When would it end? How much more could he take? In Slumdog Millionaire, the main character is on the game show Who Wants to be a Millionaire, and the story reveals how he has learned the answers to get to where he has on the program (on the verge of winning $20,000,000). He has a somewhat similar story to Will Smith's - various hardships bringing him to where he is today, but the outcome is unknown.

So there you have it: two quick movie reviews. Neither one is terrible, neither one my favorite, and both very reminiscent of movies I'd seen before. Though I like Slumdog Millionaire better than the similar predecessor, while The Curious Case of Benjamin Button wasn't as good.

No comments: