Thursday, May 8, 2008

Semantics

I remember having a conversation with a friend in college in which we were amused by the following statement:

There's no such thing as "suction," everything moves from high pressure to low.

While it's amusing to use this statement as a retort when someone says "You suck!" - it really comes across as ridiculous to me as an argument. To me it's just semantics... there is so such a thing as suction, even if the above statement is correct:

Suction is the act of creating a low pressure zone.

As you may know, I like to draw parallels and see similarities between two things that most people would think dissimilar. I guess you could say that like Dirk Gently I have a holistic view of the universe, and I believe in a fundamental interconnectedness of all things. I see a lot of arguments which to me boil down to semantics in the same way the above statement about suction does.

No comments: