Monday, May 12, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

Last night I went to see the Tucson Pops Orchestra's Music Under the Stars - a free concert they put on in an outdoor amphitheater at Reid Park. Since it was Mother's day I had brought a bouquet of flowers for my mom. There were hundreds of people there for the show. When I gave my mom the flowers, 30 or 40 people applauded. That was cute, and mom got a big kick out of it.

The music was alright. I'm not too into that kind of thing, but I don't hate it either. They played some stuff from A Chorus Line and The Sound Of Music. In a few weeks the schedule promises music from The Empire Strikes Back.

I remember when I was a kid my parents dragged my sister and I out to this thing. I'm sure I didn't want to go, thinking I wouldn't like orchestral music. That particular night (and this may be why they brought us) the music they played was really cool, recognizable stuff - The William Tell overture, Peter Gunn, Star Wars, Indiana Jones... all kinds of cool stuff.

They do this every Sunday night at 7:00 for 4 or 5 weeks in a row, twice a year. Maybe I'll start going more often...

No comments: