Monday, July 14, 2008

New furniture

I've been sleeping in a twin bed for about the last 30 years, and it's worked out fine for me. I've taken some flack from friends because I guess when people grow up they're supposed to get a queen or king size bed, but as yet I haven't really felt the need. I was never against the idea, but frankly I'm not sure my bedroom is really big enough for a full size bed! I love my house, but the one down side is that it's not very big. When Jacob and Brandy lived there they had a bedroom set that filled up that entire room - there was barely enough space to walk around the bed!

I've looked into getting a bigger bed, measured things, decided how the room would probably have to be arranged, etc - but due to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality I never bought a bigger bed. I didn't see a need for that particular expense.

Well, a friend of mine is about to have a baby, and she's turning her guest room into a nursery. This means she had a queen size bed to get rid of, and as she was one of the people who gave me shit for sleeping in a tiny bed, she offered it to me. They dropped it off yesterday, and I have rearranged my room to accommodate it.

The bed is pretty comfortable, but it does dominate the room. I might need to get rid of another piece of furniture so I can comfortably walk around. I'm not sure if I love it yet, but I suppose I'll get used to it. At least I can pretend it's a symbol of having grown up.

A side note on headboards - I never have liked them. This bed has one but I think I'll get rid of it and just shove the bed up against the wall. I'm pretty sure I'd like that better - I don't see the point in headboards in general, and this specific one I don't particularly like anyway. Also, without the headboard the bed will push back about 4 or so inches, leaving more space to walk around.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Didn't your last bed have both a small head and foot board?

Seth Jaffee said...

That was my OLD bed, and it was actually supported by those head/foot boards, it used to have a pop-up bed underneath. That was very old and broken in multiple ways when I finally got rid of it a few years ago and replaced it with my more recent bed - which I got for free from a college student that was moving (thanks James!)