Monday, December 10, 2007

New Years Resolutions

I've begun thinking about New Years resolutions recently. Often I don't make them, or I do so half-heartedly. There are generic resolutions like "floss everyday," and there are more specific resolutions such as "get a game in line to be published" - both resolutions I believe I made around this time last year, and neither held true.

I think this time around I will think a bit harder about what I resolve to do, then I will whole heartedly resolve to do it. This year I think I will take New Year Resolutions seriously, which means choosing goals that are not too ambitious but interesting and important enough to make note.

For example, I cannot resolve to get a game published - it depends on too many other factors. However I can resolve to do what I can to that end - finish games, send them to publishers, etc. And I probably can't keep a resolution to floss every single day, but I could resolve to floss 3 or 4 times a week, then aim to floss everyday... so if or when I fall short of flossing everyday (which would be ideal) I can still meet the goal I set.

In my job and in general I think that lists are a good idea. If I have so many things to do that I feel overwhelmed, I usually dig my way out of it by making a list of things I need to do, then crossing things off when they're done. Rather than feeling overwhelmed this helps me compartmentalize the things that need doing, and crossing things off of lists is a good, tangible way to feel like I'm making progress. I think I'll make some lists regarding what I want to accomplish in the next year, then revise and edit those list until they are reasonable accomplishable. Maybe I'll post my final list of resolutions so this time next year I can reflect on them and see if I've suck to my guns.

No comments: