Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Living in the desert isn't all bad!

I've lived in Tucson most of my life - since I was 7 years old. I vaguely remember winters as a small child in Ohio - snowmen, snow angels, snowballs...

Nowadays it's front page news if snow hits the ground where I live, let alone collects enough to make a snowman. Last January when my sister was in town it snowed (appreciably) for the first time in ages - Renee and I had a snowball fight!

Sure the summer heat can be tough to bear, and if you don't have air conditioning then you're going to suffer, but there's a good side to living in the desert as well...

I've always said I'd rather be too hot than too cold. When it's cold outside I feel like my hands get brittle and they don't seem to work right. In the extreme it can even kind of hurt. When it's hot, everything works fine... I just sweat.

I like playing Ultimate, and it's really nice to be able to play an outdoor sport year round. We just had our annual Hoasis tournament, and even though it's December, I was running around in shorts and a T-shirt and it was beautiful outside!

This morning was weird, there was actually fog everywhere! I haven't seen that kind of fog in Tucson maybe ever. But it cleared up, and with the exception of a crisp breeze, it's beautiful outside.

I like living in the desert. I'd rather bear the heat for a couple months in the summer than have to deal with frost and snow of a "normal" winter. Sometimes I think I'm sick of the heat and maybe I ought to get out of town, but then I realize that the weather is really beautiful most of the time.

And despite what you might hear, it does too look like winter here!

No comments: