Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The name "Seth"

I've noticed the name "Seth" being used a lot more lately - on TV, advertising, movies, etc. It may just be a perception thing, like maybe the name is as common as ever, and I'm only noticing it more often. Or perhaps it's being used more than it used to. I'm not sure.

One thing I've noticed about the name is the type of person Hollywood is assigning it to. Just two off the cuff examples:

Ad for cell phone company: Seth is the fat kid who the pimply kid settles for (for his "circle") when he's told the hot chick is unlisted.

Main character in Superbad: unpopular deviant - the one that didn't even get into a good school like his two loser friends, and gets spit on by other kids. On the up-side, he and his friend Evan DID end up getting together with the girls they liked, but I think the character isn't the kind of guy people aspire to be like.

I don't know where I'm going with this observation... I'd like to think I'm not like the type of person that would be named Seth in a TV show or movie.

2 comments:

Rick Holzgrafe said...

I associate the name with cool people, probably because of the actor Seth Green, who is a very cool person. (Well, and because of you too, but I was watching Buffy long before I met you!)

Seth Jaffee said...

I like Seth Green too - that's not so much a name Hollywood has assigned.

Also, while you and I think he's cool, I'm not sure that's the mainstream definition of "cool."