Sunday, October 12, 2008

Bad Decisions

In general, I don't think I make bad decisions. I practice not making bad decisions all the time - I play strategy games, and I win a lot, which I think is evidence of making good decisions.

Also, I'm not a drug addict, I don't waste all my money on Alcohol (or anything else for that matter), I don't live on the street... I have a house, and a career... as a whole I feel like I'm ok on the Life Decisions front as well.

So why is it that when it comes to things I want (as opposed to things I need), things I want that actually sort of matter (as opposed to just doing well in a board game), in that case why is my decision making so consistently poor?

I mentioned recently that I'd made a bad decision regarding what team to play frisbee with. That maybe doesn't sound like a very big deal, but consider this: I've been wanting for the last 14 years to play on a team that was good enough to go to Nationals. The masters team which offered me a spot is currently 3-1 at Regionals and has a decent shot at qualifying for Nationals. The open team I chose to play with instead is currently sitting on the couch with a beer in their hand watching football.

I've consistently made other bad decisions at about this level of importance - regarding frisbee, regarding Magic (when I used to play that), and regarding relationships. Why is it I'm good at a lot of stuff that doesn't really matter to me, and I'm so terribly bad at the things that do?

EDIT: The Masters team did NOT qualify for Nationals. On one hand I'm sorry that's the case. On the other hand, I think it's going to help my sanity.

No comments: